But, to make the image really work, I had to fulfil the list of the smaller specific goals below.
- Find a perspective very close to the water, right amidst the action.
- Take advantage of the setting sun, golden light.
- Silhouette the figures. This would add a strong graphic sense to the image (more visually appealing this way).
- Capture the boy mid-flight, as he’s doing a backflip. Much of the magic is in that frozen action.
- Catch the splashes. They make the shot look more dynamic, more fun.
So you see, there are always goals when we shoot. Whether it’s a very short and general list, or a longer and very specific one – all photoshoots have goals. Even if you’re not fully aware of those goals.